Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Schieffer Speaker





So,

(please take brief notice of how many of my blog posts start with this word. I'm evidently incapable of a cold start. I think I need to ease into it with a colloquial little quippy word to set the casual tone for the rest of this - god forbid I appear even remotely serious)

Sooooo,

Prior to Monday, I seriously had come to think that all the entire population of Washington, DC was concerned with was
A. Networking. [Connections are everything. It's not what you do, it's who you know. Ask for business cards, follow up with emails, harass the innocent successful. Be Aggressive! B-E Agressive!]
B. Politics. [It doesn't matter what you stand for, only who you stand with].
C. Success. [Money Money Money Power Money]

It is for these 3 (arguably more) reasons that I was SO relieved to hear the first words out of Bob Schieffer's lips on Monday morning.

First of all, let me go on record saying that we start class wayyy too early. It is obscene to start class at the hour we do.

I fully understand that we're in this great city and we need to 'seize the moment!' - But honestly, who would it kill, really, to maybe just seize the next moment in line? Like, say, the moment an hour and half later than the one we're currently seizing so vehemently.

Just putting it out there.

Anyhow, just as I sit down in Capitol Auditorium, that freezing shell of a room, Mr. Scheiffer's comforting voice drifts out over the abnormally large crowd, and he says...

"The main reason you want to go into any profession is because it's fun." He paused, adjusting his volume so that all could hear him. "You find something you like to do, and the success part will take care of itself. Don't let anybody pick what you want to do."

 and Whooooshhhhh

Literally.

In that span of 15 seconds, all the pressure, all the stress, all the tension that my 125-caplet bottle of Exedrin Tension Headache has repeatedly failed to relieve, instantly flew from my poor, overly burdened body and into the once stale (now surprisingly comforting) air of the auditorium.

All this talk of sucking up, of selling oneself, of pretending to be so much more than I ever imagined I was capable of pretending to be, - and now the most experienced and worldly speaker we've had yet is telling us that in the end, it's all about having fun?

Well gee, Mr. Scheiffer. I think you just might be on to something.

And so, when he went on to talk about his attitude toward politics, I listened with open ears,  more ready than ever to accept the advice of the man standing before me.



We've "professionalized an amateur sport", he said, talking about American politics.

He continued, "Democrats and Republicans don't like to be around each other, but it wasn't always like that. We used to get together."

He really made it seem like over the years, what was once a good-intentioned mission to lead the country has slowly and steadily morphed into a meaningless battle based on money, power and ego.

Nowadays, he told us, "it's more important what you think than what you get done".

So alas, the once-noble practice of politics has become nothing more than fighting for the sake of fighting - argument for arguments sake.

Very reassuring.



All that idealistic stuff aside, however, he did finish off with some more practical advice. 'Who you work for is more important than what you're doing - how you present yourself and your attitude can override any other accomplishments'.

After all, we all need a daily dose of reality if we're going to make it in this unforgiving little city of impassioned warriors.

And sometimes, he told us, it's just about getting lucky. 



I did like his final little bit of advice, though

"The harder I've worked, the luckier I've got".

Best speech yet, I'd say. ( And not just because he's the one who gave me my scholarship. Scouts honor. Though in full journalistic disclosure I thought it responsible to share said nugget of information )

Monica and Mr. Bob Schieffer (both Fort Worth, TX natives)

1 comment: