Thursday, September 2, 2010

Frangipani Plumeria

Cacti and Succulents 


Spuds Unearthed


Heroes of Horticulture.


      Really bad band names? Superhero slogans?
Wrong! Something far more earth shattering;  Three of the temporary exhibits at the United States Botanic Gardens!


[Disclaimer: earth shattering is used here as a blatant pun and by no means implies the colloquial meaning of  a life altering event]




C'monnnnn, who doesn't love a good tropical plant?? I know I do! Especially when it's 955 degrees out and the exhibit says, 'NO!, I'll raise you 20 - let's make it 975. Beat that Washington I-used-to-be-a-swamp DC.'


Actually, though, it was kind of cool - walking from Hawaii to Garden Primeval to Jungle, all in a matter of mere seconds. I felt like God (Allah, Bahá, Satnam...), roaming through my mini insignificant earthly creations. Or like a giant. Same thing. 




It would have, however, been much more enjoyable if aforementioned heat had not been so excruciatingly painful. I'm definitely going there in winter to pretend that I could be happy once again - that the sun will indeed shine once more. (Winter in Wisconsin creates a terrible melodramatic outlook on winter in general).


OK! Moral of story - go to Botanic Gardens, but not in blazing heat. 


The End



No comments:

Post a Comment