Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Internship Update

Hey there - I thought I'd just quickly post a little update on my internship at the BBC.

This week has been crazy, with the Midterm Elections and all, and I worked both Monday and Tuesday - even though my typical days are Thurs/Fri. I got some great insight into how a news agency handles really newsworthy events.

Monday I went out into the field with a correspondent, camera man, and news producer for a day of "lives" (live broadcasts - in this case, interviews and pieces to camera). We went to Wilmington, Delaware (home of "the witch"), and spoke to a good variety of people to get a feeling for voter sentiments in the area, huddling in the satellite between each one for warmth.

passively observing a biden rally

wilmington signature statue

sat truck


Tuesday I worked until 2:30AM in the bureau, watching how everyone worked together to put out a constant stream of material to satisfy not only America, but the UK as well - hence the odd hours. Everything ran pretty smoothly, and it seems that everyone's really gotten good at working with one another to make things move efficiently.

Anyhow - just thought I'd briefly let you in on a little of that weekly responsibilities stuff.

Cheers (as they'd say at the BBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment